Monday, May 22, 2017

Letter 29 Mesa, Arizona May 22, 2017

Hi Everyone!

So, I don't have a lot of time to write today, but I have some news to share.

Two months before my mission, I had a pretty bad injury, where I managed to slip a few discs in my back. Over the last 10 months since the injury, the pain in my back has gotten progressively worse. Over the course of my mission, I have been getting treatment for my back injuries. Sadly, the injuries are only getting worse.  My Mission President and I have come to a decision to come home early for some additional treatment. I will be coming back home to Kentucky tomorrow (Tuesday). I am not sure how long my time home will be - it could be only 3 months or it could result in me not being able to come back on my mission. This has been a heartbreaking decision, but I know it is best for me right now. I have loved my mission more than I could ever express. My heart is destroyed that I will not be a missionary. But, I know the Lord's plans are bigger and better than our own. Thank you so much for all of your support, love and care for me. I am so thankful for the last 8 1/2 months I have spent here in Arizona. My heart will be here forever with these people.

I love you all! I will see you soon.

Hermana Abigail Valenta


 My Uncle Jeff came to surprise me in church!

Sister Irizarry and I were reunited for an hour last night and we got to see our recent convert Luis and his friend Noah!


Our last house dinner together :(

*Abigail's Mom and Dad here....
We know that the decision for Abigail to come home has been agonizing for her. As she said, she has loved her mission so much so this is not a decision that was made lightly. When Abigail called to tell us of the decision that she and her mission president had to come to, she had to hand the phone to her companion to have her tell us she was coming home because Abigail was crying so hard. Our hearts were breaking for her.

During the months on her mission she has been an example of Christ-like virtues. She has loved unconditionally, served faithfully, been an example to many, and touched the lives of more people that she even knows. Sister Christensen (the mission president's wife) told us that from the time Abigail arrived in Arizona she hit the ground running even though she arrived in Arizona in a cast from her upper arm to her finger tips because she broke her elbow while she was in the MTC in Mexico! She has been an awesome missionary and they love her so much. If she were any less of a missionary the mission president probably would have sent her home months ago but they have not wanted to let her go as much as Abigail hasn't wanted to go. Recently, President Christensen talked on the phone to Abigail's dad and told him how much he and his wife love Abigail and how good of a missionary she is. He said that as a mission president you wait a long time to have a missionary like Abigail and he feels a bit cheated that she has to come home but he knows that she needs to. 

We are so proud of Abigail! She has done awesome things in the time she has served in Arizona and we know that she will continue to do awesome things wherever she is! Thank you to all who have been following Abigail's mission through this blog and for your kind words, thoughts, and prayers for her! 


No comments:

Post a Comment